Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pharmacology is not always our friend

For a while now (almost 6 years) I have been dealing with a hernieated disc in my neck and the resultant pain and suffering.  I have tried accupuncture, massage, narcotics, chiropractic, you name it for pain. Then my doc prescribed what, at the time, seemed to be a wonder drug for me.  It took away the pain and *hey* I lost a couple of pounds too.  What could be better.

Except then I started having some wicked side effects from said wonder drug.  I will spare you the details, suffice it to say, my GI tract hated me. 

So I decided that neck pain was better than feeling like I was dying in the abdominal area all the time and I started tapering off the medication (on the advice of my MD).  The taper went well, I started feeling better in the tummy area and finally I was human again (except for my neck). This lasted about a week.

Suddenly I woke up one morning about 4 days ago and I felt a bit like Alice in Wonderland when she eats some of the good drugs.  My body was all disconnected from my brain in ways I cannot even explain.  The literature calls it "brain zaps".  The best way I can explain it is that it feels like my nerve endings are fried and not connecting to each other, a sort of shocking feeling and my vision is all stuttery.  Add to this a constant migraine (oh yes, this is also a known withdrawal side effect).  I.HATE.THIS.DRUG.  This can all go on for WEEKS.  Even though I tapered off very slowly, the side effects too a week after my last dose to even show up.

Dear friends, I will admit.  I woke up this morning and took one of my Cymbalta pills, and then called my MD and asked for a lower dose, slower taper.  This is unbearable.  And unconcionable.  How this med made it past the FDA is beyond me.  It should be banned. 

I am not a happy nurse right now.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment